Author Topic: Is Battery Backup, hidden problem for Verizon FIOS?  (Read 9590 times)

William D

• Chief Editor
  • Seasoned Ranter
    • Cable Rant
Is Battery Backup, hidden problem for Verizon FIOS?
« on: April 01, 2008, 11:06:18 PM »
According to TelephonyOnline.com Verizon's use of of a battery backup at every single ONT in every single home, could turn out to be a problem for them in the future.  Verizon treats the battery as a courtesy to the customer.  Once the battery goes, it is up to the customer to replace it.  That is fine when the power works, but in the event of a black, out any battery over 4 years old(Verizon states batteries will last four years) will not work and need to be replaced at the customer's expense.  To make matters worse, TelephonyOnline.com thinks that having batteries replaced by un-trained customers will only backfire, as most will probably opt not to change them.  If there is a blackout, this could be a huge PR failure for Verizon.  Think how cell phone towers failed to work when old battery backups failed to keep towers going.
[quote:394a6egs]When it runs down and is due for replacement, guess who is supposed to change the battery? The customer! Think about this for a minute. Years ago, with deregulation, the telcos got out of the customer premise equipment (CPE) business. Customers could buy phones and plug them into wall jacks. The telco is responsible for operation and maintenance of the telephone line up to the network interface device (NID) on the side of the house. With FiOS, Verizon will not dispatch a technician if the battery fails, only if something happens to the ONT. Verizon pitched FiOS to the industry and Wall St. on the basis of massive opex savings because PON eliminates the electronics, ergo maintenance, in the local loop. With FiOS, Verizon is actually creating millions of potential failure points in its network. Leaving all that in the hands of untrained and unprepared customers is a huge risk that makes no sense, especially in the face of cable alternatives[/quote]

Click here for full story from TelephonyOnline.com

[i:394a6egs]Verizon ONT and Battery Backup[/i:394a6egs]
CableRant.com - Thank you for visiting

vz_grunt

• Veteran Ranter
  • Cable Provider: Verizon FiOS
Re: Is Battery Backup, hidden problem for Verizon FIOS?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2008, 02:32:49 PM »
The news trying to make a big deal of nothing.
Guess what?  At least battery backup is standard with Verizon.  You have to ask for it with Cable.
Most cable customers don't even have a battery backup.

attackgypsy

• Doesn't work for Cablevision anymore
  • New Ranter
  • Cable Provider: AT&T
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2008, 12:42:25 PM »
Looks like we have a Verizon troll here, folks.

Oh, and Cablevision does have battery backups. Always has. But yes, it is separate.

frnortner

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2008, 09:57:43 AM »
Verizon troll? I don't think so. In an ad hoc survey (homeowners' association meeting) of people of my acquaintance who have either FiOS or T/W here in Dallas, absolutely NONE of the cable subscribers in the group had a battery backup on the cable modem. Indeed, the more cable savvy of them struck their foreheads with the palms of their hands, realizing they hadn't thought of the cable modem/router. I have no idea how well the T/W signal carrying system is backed up power wise.

About 90% of the FiOS subs knew about the batt and actually had a renewal reminder of some kind. The others said that they had been informed and reminded by Verizon on install, and the entire battery backup theory had been explained by the installer.

About 20% had set up UPS for running the router/access point as well.

Verizon has never publicised the 12V input jack on the side of the power supply. I made a cable for it with jumper cables to reach the car battery the day after the install.

With my set up I can run for over 12 hours with telephone, Internet and television before hooking up to the car battery. And yes I have a battery TV and standard telephone.

-- Doc

frnortner

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2008, 10:03:01 AM »
Oh yes, one more point. There are no electronics between my house and my FiOS head end a couple of towns over. It's all glass.

-- Doc

disgusted

• Seasoned Ranter
  • Cable Provider: Cablevision
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2008, 12:55:36 PM »
Oh yes, one more point. There are no electronics between my house and my FiOS head end a couple of towns over. It's all glass.

-- Doc

What about the BPONS and GPONS?
They split the single fiber coming into your neighborhood into 32-128 individual fiber strands to service each house.
I'm pretty sure that counts as an electronic device.
HD STB:  SA 4250HD
HD DVR:  SA 8300HD
Modem:  SA 5120V

frnortner

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2008, 10:30:37 AM »
Nope, not electronic. They are passive. Hence "no electronics". The point of my comment is that they are immune from power failure issues between the head end and my house. Some cable repeaters are powered locally. Some are powered from the nearest power injection point, all of which are subject to power failures. Yes, so is teh head end. However, they are very well backed up with UPS & generator schemes. THe FiOS head end her is fed from two separate feeders. Pretty well thought out.